Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Come along on my adventure


What a step-down! After five great days in the Toowoon Bay Van Park, we had our next overnight "free-camping" in a truck stop! WOW! Only the best for us. My mum and dad said this is part of the adventure and our caravan really is set up so we don't need electricity or bathrooms or anything. I'm on my morning walk with my dad before breakfast. It was kind of fun cooking our dinner in the parking area though, and when we woke this morning there were lots more people parked around us.


After a day on the road, we had another overnight "free-camp" near Uralla on the New England Tablelands. We slept in the parking area at Thunderbolt's Rock. Captain Thunderbolt (aka Fred Ward) was a bushranger in the area in the 1800's and the "rock" was where he holed up to fight it out with the local coppers...who finished him off there, I think.


I don't know why nasty people have to deface everything. I thought this would make a great photo, and I finally got my dad to stand still on a boulder...but look at the graffiti! I wouldn't do anything like that.


I took this photo from my boulder, as my dad continued to stand still as I told him to. I wanted to show you the barren-looking paddocks in the area, but somehow the cows manage to live there. It was very cold on top of the New England Tableland, but I was OK because I have my very own doonah.







Aha! Did you know that cows run when you bark at them?! My mum said it's because they think it's a cattle dog rounding them up - but it was only me from the window of our car! I don't understand who the man was who was waving his fist at me tho.


Our morning tea stop on that day was in a little town called Bundarra. The pub in the background is pretty typical of Australian country hotels...





From Bundarra we drove 45 kms to a place called Copeton Dam. The locals call this "good dirt" road and the car heading towards us was the only one we saw during the entire drive...a bit dry and dusty out there at the moment.
I hope you're enjoying my little travelogue (or is it traveldog) as much as I'm enjoying bringing it to you...love from Colin Harries xx







4 comments:

  1. Crikey Colin, you're out of control!!!! 2 blog updates in 2 days hehe. D is laughing!! We're so glad you're having a great time in the van. The free camping part looks ok too. Were the truckies nice lol.

    tailwags
    Noah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like life is good Jack. May a thousand trees are there for you to pee on and a thousand dog butts are there for sniffin'. Enjoy your travels. PS Make sure your folks behave themselves and make sure you hide all their alcohol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one big rock! Did you pee on it, Colin?!
    Your vacation sounds totally relaxing to us!

    Love ya lots,
    Maggie and Mitch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I hate grafitti too! Glad you are having such a good time! I am enjoying reading all about it.

    ReplyDelete